Mining Engineer (Full-time) ref: GMD-HR-FT-ME-2022
Global Mine Design Ltd (GMD) has the opportunity for a Mining Engineer to join our team based in our Penryn office (Cornwall, UK). The role will involve taking ownership of mine design and engineering projects as well as providing technical input to larger multi-disciplinary projects. There is significant opportunity to travel within this role and so we encourage applicants to hold a valid passport and to be open to travelling to client sites.
Minimum required education is a degree in mining engineering unless significant mining experience can be demonstrated with other related qualifications. Additional post-graduate qualifications are also considered a bonus (e.g., geotechnical engineering). Applicants must hold full driving licence and have the right to work in the United Kingdom. The ideal candidate will have experience gained from operational mine sites that they can apply to our varied portfolio of international projects. Chartered engineer (or equivalent) status will also be advantageous.
Candidates will need to be self-motivated with a flexible attitude, highly computer literate with good practical and problem-solving skills. The potential for working in extreme environments means that applicants must be conscientious about the safety of themselves and others. The successful applicant will represent GMD within mining communities, and as such will need to demonstrate professional leadership and be respectful of others at all times.
Specific skills that we are looking for include:
- Proficiency with mine design software - particularly Deswik.
- Proficiency with applied mine design software - particularly Ventsim.
- Practical experience using applied analytical software – numerical modelling, seismic monitoring, etc
- The ability to calculate and understand financial components of mine design and planning
- Excellent knowledge of UK and international mining regulations, codes of practice, etc.
- A solid understanding of geotechnical risk in mine designs and planning scenarios
- Understanding of the influence of geotechnical performance relative to other technical services disciplines (e.g., geology, planning, blasting, etc.)
- The ability to code - particularly Python or C++ languages
A competitive salary will be offered plus pension and other benefits. All GMD employees receive an annual leave entitlement of 25 days in addition to statutory and bank holidays, with flexible working hours around family arrangements. Minimum starting salary of £25,000pa dependant on skills.
Applicants should email their CV and a detailed covering letter to email@example.com. Closing date for applications is November 26th, 2022. Only persons suitable for an interview will be contacted, within 2 weeks of the closing date. Interviewees will be required to provide proof of their right to work in the United Kingdom and to provide references on request.